Sunday, February 8, 2009

R.I.P Helio Gracie


This past Thursday(January 29,2009) Grandmaster Helio Gracie died in the morning on his sleep in Rio De Janeiro Brazil. He has a 10th degree red belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and 6th dan(Rokudan) red and white belt in Judo. "I created a flag from the art's dignity. I oversee the name of my family with affection and nerves of blood" were his last words. I feel sad for the Gracie family even if I'm a newbie in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu because I just returned in the world of martial arts(MMA to be specific) and I just read some teachings of Grandmaster Helio in some of the books and videos. Grandmaster Helio Gracie was regarded as the creator of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, also known as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. His legacy will never ever fade in the history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and MMA.

No comments: